List of Programs
The Conroe Service League originally began by identifying families in need, and expanded its service to volunteering in the local hospital. With the help of generous donations, membership dues, fundraising and countless volunteer hours, since it’s inception, the Conroe Service League has continually provided for, and helped serve the community of Montgomery County in the following ways:
- Organize annual tours for students to the Houston Museum of Fine Arts
- The league organized the first summer reading, music and art appreciation programs in 1956.
- Purchased many items for the local hospital, including furnishings, an anesthesia machine, a neonatal intensive care unit, and furnishings and stained glass windows for a prayer room.
- Instrumental in helping inoculate Conroe residents with the polio vaccine.
- Volunteering at local convalescent homes
- Decorated Christmas trees at the Montgomery County library for 43 years.
- Helped open the doors of The Heritage Museum in 1986 and served as the administrative body of the Museum for many years until it could function on its own financially. In 2005 for its 50th anniversary, the League donated a fountain to the museum – you can see it sitting out front.
- Operates a Resale Shop (The Bargain Box currently located at 123 N. Thompson St in Downtown Conroe) providing gently used items at discount prices.
- In 1961, the Conroe Service League began a Scholarship Program with a 4-year scholarship. In 1970, the League began to present 1- year Fine Arts Scholarships. In 1986 following the death of CSL sponsor Lady Hooper Schaefer, the League decided to honor her by naming the scholarship the Lady Hooper Schaefer Fine Arts Scholarship. To date the Conroe Service League has awarded almost $200,000.00 in scholarship money.
- Was a sponsoring organization in 1976 during the American Bicentennial for Conroe and Montgomery County’s celebration. A $1,000 donation was made to help establish a war memorial park in Downtown Conroe.
- Provides annual Audio / Visual screenings (now in partnership with the Conroe Noon Lions Club) to children in the community. A program in place since ____.
- Worked with Conroe ISD to provide funding to ensure students experience art and culture by organizing field trips to Houston Symphony performances at the Cynthia Mitchell Woods Pavillion.
- Creighton Theater
- Art Benches
- Donation to Conroe High School Band
- After School Program
- Boys Club
OUR CURRENT PROGRAMS ARE:
Audio –Visual Program
Since 1971, The Conroe Service League has helped provide a state-mandated screening to thousands of preschool children in the Montgomery County area. CSL now partners with the Conroe Noon Lions Club to provide this service in the community to approximately 12-14 preschools each fall.
Family Outreach Program
Conroe Service League works with the teen-age residents at BridgeWay, a Montgomery County Youth Services facility. Conroe Service League assists with furnishing homes, or holiday needs. We meet with the youth on a monthly basis to celebrate special occasions and holidays, teach life skills, provide cultural activities or include them in community service projects. Once a year, we host a Back to School party at the Bargain Box where residents can have a fun free shopping experience and receive school supplies in preparation for the coming school year.
Conroe Service League provides gently used clothing, blankets and other necessities for new families at local hospitals to help assist when bringing home their new bundle of joy. This is a bi-annual project.
The League scholarship program began in 1961. Each year CSL raises money & awards multiple “Lady Hooper Schaefer” scholarships to Montgomery County high school seniors assisting with college expenses. To date, the Conroe Service League has awarded almost $200,000 to hundreds of worthy students.
Young Texas Artists
Supporting the arts has always played a large part in the Conroe Service League. For this yearly local event, CSL assists with food and any other necessary needs that they may have.
Conroe Service League provides donations & volunteers services to this worthy event held each year at the First Baptist Church Conroe. This program provides high school senior girls a free prom dress and accessories to make them feel like a princess on Prom night.
Just Between Friends
Conroe Service League maintains a relationship with and coordinates delivery of thrift store donations from the Just Between Friends organization.